stat

Wednesday 14 August 2013

When I'm 64

Today is my 41st birthday - and I think this is the stage when one is only interested in milestones. So, no, when I woke up it didn't feel special. In part this is because I let my birthday move around a bit. On Sunday I will catch up with old and new friends for lunch, followed by family visiting, so I'll open my presents and have the birthday cake then.

I remember when young there were these milestones - it seems legally one hits various parts of being an adult at 16, 18 and 21, rather than in one fell swoop.

And it's 9 years till I can take part in some over-50s things. In 19 years I can get a senior railcard. Under the Pensions Act 2011, I have to wait 26 years for my state pension.

It says something that I am now at the stage of life where old age feels closer than childhood.

No comments:

Post a Comment